Search This Blog

Thursday, January 10, 2019

Links and Updates

2019 has hit the ground running, and already one of my must-see films of the year has hit theatres… at least in Australia and New Zealand. For some reason How To Train Your Dragon 3 was released a full month earlier than other countries – and no, I haven’t seen it yet, but it seems a missed opportunity to not see it several weeks before the rest of the world. Stay tuned.
And Young Justice is also out, though not on any streaming service. That’s okay, I was planning on waiting until all the episodes were released and binge-watching it (that’s the best way, since the stories are so intertwined). What a great start to the year!

That Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego remake has released its first trailer, and they’ve certainly shaken things up a bit. This time around Carmen looks to be a student at an espionage school for thieves-in-training, only to break free and start working against them. It’s a very different format than what I grew up with: two kid detectives chasing a glamourous thief around the globe, but we’ll see how it goes.
As i09 points out in this article, 2019 is definitely the year for wrapping up big-name franchises: I’ve already mentioned the likes of the Star Wars trilogy, Game of Thrones and The Avengers: Endgame, but they also pointed out some I’ve missed: Gotham, iZombie, Jane the Virgin, Orange is the New Black, The Big Bang Theory, Homeland, Mr Robot and (almost certainly) the Netflix Marvel shows.
Heck, A Series of Unfortunate Events has already finished its third and final season (I’ve just gotten started on it). 2019 ain’t wasting any time.
Speaking of Game of Thrones, our first clip of the last season is up, and it’s Daenerys, Jon and Sansa at Winterfell:
On the one hand, I groan, because of course the girls are catty and territorial. On the other hand, it does make sense for Sansa to be prickly given what Jon’s gone and done. And the best part is watching the meltdowns of the Jon/Dany and Jon/Sansa shippers, who hate each other and each other’s “rival girl” and are totally convinced that their ship is the one that’ll emerge victorious.
They do realize they’re watching Game of Thrones, right? Neither of those couples is walking into the sunset together.
Did you know a Care Bears remake was being released? DID YOU? More than My Little Pony and all those other toy-tie-in shows of the eighties, this is the one that defined my early years. Heck, I still have my Care Bear, and so does my sister.
Looks like they’re going for a slightly ironic comedic bent, but will I be watching this? Yes, of course I will.
Our first Stranger Things poster! It looks suitably ominous/joyful, and there are plenty of details to be gleaned: the monster’s tentacles at the bottom, Eleven and Mike holding hands, the fact that Max is now fully part of the group… can’t wait!
Another Captain Marvel trailer, which I’ve just realized is coming out incredibly close to the release date of Endgame. Full disclosure, I still know very little about Carol Danvers as a character, and I’d like to keep it that way (so I can’t share any insights on how Brie Larson is handling the character as portrayed) but there’s definitely something exciting about the first female-led Marvel film.
I’m currently working through ASoUE and Trollhunters, but I gotta wrap up Supergirl, Star Wars: Resistance and the latter half of Vikings season 5 (which has finally arrived), especially now that Star Trek: Discovery is on the horizon. Why are there so many shows?

2 comments:

  1. Ah, I am *very* keen to see what you made of ASoUE (and, in particular, some of the changes to the source material in some of the later episodes... I'll say no more for now!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read all thirteen books YEARS ago, so my memories are a bit fuzzy on all but the major plot-points, but I'm already noticing different bits and pieces here and there (the downright cruel bait-and-switch of the Quagmire parents for example).

      But I'm fairly confident that the book's refusal to explain the strange conspiracy won't translate well to a show, so I'm tentatively looking forward to getting answers on what the heck was up with that damn sugar bowl.

      Delete