Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 1, 2020

Woman of the Month: Lyra Belacqua


Lyra Belacqua from His Dark Materials trilogy
I first met Lyra Belacqua (also known as Silvertongue) when I was thirteen years old. I had no idea what to make of her: she was so unlike any of the other female characters I had ever read, who were largely written as helpful, polite, friendly and essentially good.
Lyra was none of this, as in turns she could be feral or spoiled or rude or bratty. But she also had a deep-seated sense of right and wrong, and deep reserves of intelligence, compassion and common sense. Her mastery of the alethiometer was fascinating to watch, and her raw determination in saving children from Bolvangar inspiring - particularly the courage it took her to extend kindness to Tony Makarios.
It was a thrill to see a female character excel in telling lies and weaving stories, to run wild over rooftops and through Oxford streets, and to fight tooth and nail to defend herself. With a name that resembles "lyre" or "liar", both of which encapsulate her character, she's a tiny force of nature that barrels through all the obstacles in her path.
She's also a girl of her time, and perhaps one of my favourite moments is when Will suggests she wears pants, only for her to laugh and say: "don't be stupid, I'm a girl!"
But her destiny as a second Eve isn't contingent on her femininity or disobedience or fatal curiosity; rather her desire to experience everything the world has to offer. In many ways the entire trilogy is her coming-of-age tale, as she grows in wisdom, empathy and self-awareness in her journey from child to adult.
Ages ago I read a quote that said Lyra was the most realistic little girl since Alice in Wonderland, a comparison I didn't understand at the time, but can fully grasp now. Brought to life by Dakota Blue Richards and Dafne Keen in rather flawed adaptations of the work, I'm looking forward to returning to Lyra's continuing story in The Secret Commonwealth. It's staring at me from my desktop. 

No comments:

Post a Comment