Search This Blog

Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Downton Abbey S05E04

Another episode, another forty-five minutes of routine littered with a few gemstones.

For the first time ever, I actually sympathize with Robert on an issue. Here in Christchurch the earthquake has decimated thousands of houses, and now tons of beautiful fields and prospects are being bulldozed in order to make way for more housing. Obviously there needs to be a rebuild, but some of my favourite walks and scenic spots are gone forever.

Prince Kuragin is a gorgeous man. And if he's like this now, I can only imagine Violet's temptation to run away with him when she was a young woman.

Ages ago I was informed that Mary wore purple because she was in half-mourning, but that time has passed and she's still favouring those colours. And I like to think it's a deliberate way of visually linking her to Violet.

Lord Merton is certainly a smooth operator. I can almost believe that Isabel will go through with the proposal.

Okay, so whatever's going on with Thomas went completely over my head. From what I gathered from that magazine article, he's trying to de-gay himself? And made himself sick doing so? I guess I'm used to Fellowes spelling out every little thing for me, because I wasn't totally clear on what's going on here.

But I like that Baxter is extended a sympathetic hand, even after all the crap Thomas put  her through.

I realize that children on set are a pain, but Sybbie and George's limited screen-time is really starting to pall. Mary hasn't interacted with her child once this season.

I really wish the family would treated Edith as more than just an afterthought. Robert was surprisingly sweet to her, but Violet asking Shrimpy to track down Prince Kuragin's wife came so quickly on the heels of her discussion with Edith about Michael that I assumed she was asking Shrimpy to look for him.

Rosamund lives! I'm always pleased to see Samantha Bond, and I loved how she figured out precisely what was going on with Edith's daughter just through Mary's casual comments.

Ten points to Fellowes for letting Mary go to a fashion show, thoroughly enjoy it, and purchase some of what was on display afterwards without making her shallow or frivolous.

Was that woman who was with Blake the woman that Gillingham was engaged to? It went by so quickly, but like Mary said – she definitely wasn't how I imagined her.

Mrs Patmore mentioned "our William." Aww.

Best dialogue of the episode goes to Blake and Mary: "I wish I could work you out." "I wish I could work me out." Heh. I can relate.

Hey, it's Shrimpy again! And he gets a rather lovely scene with his daughter. Why can't we get more of this material?

And I'm not surprised that Gillingham isn't handling rejection well. Let's hope he doesn't make a complete ass of himself (though there were some rather nasty implications in his tirade to Mary).

Anyone else amused at the amazing proficiency of the police force? They're following up every miniscule lead, questioning all the staff on hearsay, posting a plainclothes policeman outside Gillingham's door, and putting what seems like a huge amount of manpower behind solving the mystery of a jerk who got run over in a busy street several years ago.

Finally, Sarah Bunting. I guess I'm going to have to concede that Fellowes wants us to think that she's obnoxious and unpleasant, otherwise I have no idea why he's writing her as so lacking in social mores. Which is a shame. I liked Sarah, or at least the idea of an intelligent middle-class teacher with a slight prejudice against the wealthy, but it's reached a cartoonish level now.

As is to be expected, the outspoken teacher is getting more hate than the sadistic rapist, so let's hope Fellowes wraps all this up soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment