Search This Blog

Monday, October 19, 2015

Links and Updates

Okay, I know I was supposed to have my X-Men Evolution review up this week, but my Polytechnic assignment is looming, so I've had to put it on hold. But don't worry, it's coming. And I've got TONS of stuff to say about it, especially when it comes to Rogue. Heck, I may have to write a meta about the role of teenage girls in the X-Men franchise when I'm done.

I've been watching Doctor Who and enjoying it as a casual viewer, but still haven't decided whether or not to return to Sleepy Hollow. The buzz surrounding season three seems to be positive, so I definitely haven't ruled it out completely.
Which is more than I can say for Once Upon a Time. I've been avoiding it completely, but having survived the Merlin years I'll admit to having a passing interest in their take on Arthurian legend. And it doesn't look like I'll be returning. I made the mistake of checking Guinevere's tag on Tumblr, and remarks include: "she's not that pretty," "I don't trust her," "I've never liked Guinevere" and "basic ass bitch."
Oh fandom, never change. And by that I mean CHANGE IMMEDIATELY.
will however need someone to tell me how the Ruby/Mulan/Merida two hour special goes. I was delighted to hear that Ruby and Mulan were returning (I'd given up hope!) and I've been thinking of making myself a Ruby/Mulan/Aurora supercut from all their episodes so I can watch my three favourite characters whilst remaining Regina/Henry/Robin Hood free. (I liked the Charmings once, but they've long since been sacrificed on the altar of Regina's perpetual victimhood).
On a vaguely related note, check out this review of Disney's Maleficent. I was rather lukewarm on the movie for similar reasons, and this is another perspective that helps articulate why.
Three things to look forward to:
Crimson Peak of course, which I'll hopefully see before, during, or just after Halloween. I've a friend I haven't caught up with in ages, so I might make it a date night with her.
Princess Moana, which has cast its voice actress for the titular role, and she's adorable. Of especial interest to me is the Pacifica setting – I grew up with stories of Maui, the trickster demigod, and it would seem he'll be featuring here as a supporting character. That giant fish-hook he's holding? He uses it to fish up the North Island of New Zealand.
Bryan Konietzko's Threadworlds, a new graphic novel which looks AMAZING. A female scientist protagonist who looks a bit like a kangaroo? A science-fiction setting which also looks heavily inspired by Hayao Miyazaki? Take my money!
Okay, I got tons of works to do, so I better get back to it. At least now I have some concrete rewards to look forward to. Dangling carrots and all that.

No comments:

Post a Comment