Search This Blog

Thursday, March 12, 2015

Links and Updates

So we're in the second week of March, and I've been slowly but surely making my way through a dozen or so shows that I need to catch up on.

The second season of Broadchurch came to an end (review forthcoming, though to sum up my initial thoughts: this town has the worst cops, lawyers and parents of all time) and over a single weekend I devoured the first two seasons of both Vikings and Black Sails. I'm currently more obsessed with the former than the latter, but both have their strong points and a great collection of characters. Let me finish up the current seasons and I'll write something more substantial on them both.
I also finished the second half of Sleepy Hollow's second season and ... oy. Again, I'll probably write up a longer review when time allows, but talk about a show losing its way! I don't think there's been a sharper nosedive in quality since Heroes first aired.
It remains to be seen whether it'll be renewed for a third season, though for the sake of the cast I hope it is. I have this theory that getting cancelled after two seasons is one of the worst things that can happen to a show. If something is canned after one season, it probably wasn't all that good to begin with – no big loss, move on to the next project. If it manages three seasons, you can congratulate yourselves on a healthy trilogy, with a beginning, middle and end. But two? Two seasons means you were given time and space to develop your premise, characters and world-building – and you blew it.
It's not always the case. The Legend of the Seeker was just getting warmed up when it was unceremoniously axed, and Pushing Daisies was a victim of the Writer's Strike, but for the most case (especially in genre shows) the rule holds true: AtlantisDark AngelDollhouseTerminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles ... they had the vision and the talent and the budget – but they blew it.
(Hopefully I haven't opened myself up to vicious debate on this score; suffice to say that I know there are exceptions).
But if there is one show that's a confirmed trilogy, it's The Fall – complete with Gillian Anderson and Jamie Dorner. No doubt regretting everything after the Fifty Shades of Grey press tour, Dornan has hedged his bets and ranked critically acclaimed television over the siren call of Hollywood. Let's just hope this doesn't result in an influx of new fans whose prerogative is to insist that Christian Grey Paul Spector is Just Misunderstood and only Needs Someone to Love Him.  
Still, this is good news. As divisive as I found the end of season two, Dornan's return means the cat-and-mouse game between Stella and Spector is not yet over. He's not going to escape justice by dying in Stella's arms under a clear blue sky. My dream ending – of Spector facing permanent incarceration – is still a possibility.
In saying that, I still think it all could have (should have) been wrapped up in two seasons, but I've just spend three paragraphs explaining why that's a bad thing, so trilogy – whoohoo!
Furthermore, along with Colin Morgan (presumably) for The Fall, Angel Coulby is finally returning to my screen with the renewal of The Tunnel for a sequel series. They're my two favourite Merlin stars, so this is a big deal for me. In fact, I've been wondering if Angel has been out of commission for a while (since the run of Good People ended) because she was caught in limbo over whether or not a Tunnel sequel would be greenlit. Now that it's set in stone, hopefully her schedule will allow for more projects. Either way, I'm glad she's returning!
***
Between Penny Dreadful and Orphan Black (and Game of Thrones, I guess) April is shaping up to be a pretty great month for television, with the release of a new Orphan Black trailer:
Though to be honest, this isn't a particularly inspiring trailer. All the main clones are present and accounted for – Sarah, Cosima, Alison, Helena – and there's a strong emphasis on their newfound male counterparts, but no sense of the storyline or the stakes. And however sinister the line "count your sisters" might be, it's somewhat negated by the considerably-less encouraging "I've got a bad feeling about this" soundbite that finishes things off. C'mon, it's not even that iconic in Star Wars!
We get a brief glimpse of James Frain, who obviously felt that this was one genre show (along with Agent Carter and Sleepy Hollow) that he had to be a part of, and the likes of Paul, Art and Delphine also make appearances.
Naturally Felix and Siobhan are also involved, but an odd lack of Cal and Kira. I fear in the former case Michiel Huisman is busy on Game of Thrones, and in the latter Skyler Wexler is aging too quickly for the time-line to allow. Fingers crossed the writers find a way around both problems.
***
Over on Tor, Kate Elliot has written a fantastic article on writing female characters, specifically in regards to how easy it is to fall into traps. You know, the female character types that keep popping up everywhere and yet are never questioned (my comments in brackets):
If a woman is introduced as a potential love interest for the hero and then killed so he can be sent off on a quest or spurred to seek revenge, not every reader and viewer will recognize that as The Disposable Love Interest or The Fridged Woman; rather, people see this as an established and suitable narrative theme. (Candlelit vigil for Shado on Arrow).
The Nameless Raped Girl is often described as “realism” even though every person who has ever been raped has a life and a personhood that such a plot obliterates in service to the story. (Looking at YOU Vikings, and that serious season one misstep in what is otherwise a great show).
A female character who behaves like a guy and is portrayed as “one of the boys” or “as good as a man” in a way that elevates her above all those uninteresting women whose lives consist of boring-women-things doesn’t elevate women characters on the whole, nor does it show respect for the historical diversity of women’s lives in the particular. (Hi Game of Thrones, and your consistent need to have Arya and Brienne scorn and ridicule all things feminine, including other women in ways that are totally inconsistent with their book characterization).
The Exceptional Girl walks alone, almost never interacting with other women except maybe in competition with them, but often people don’t remark on how much of a stereotype it is to situate one girl away from other women as if women are somehow made more important the farther away they get from other women. (Hey, remember when the Merlin writers made Guinevere go at least four in-show years without talking to another female character?)
Be cautious with the popular Mother Figure, for as I once described the film Immortals: Men can aspire to be divine. Women can aspire to have sons who can grow up to be men who can aspire to be divine. (So long Katrina from Sleepy Hollow. The writers could have salvaged you, but it was easier not to).
The Evil Seductress With Her Sexually Tempting and Irresistible Wiles; The Slutty Girl Who Pays For Her Sexual “Freedom” With Her Life; The Girl Too Ugly To Get Married; The Passive Bride who will either Be Crushed By Life or who will Find Her Strength; The Withering Old Woman Who Hates Her Youthful “Rival” Because There Is No Meaning For Women Beyond When They Cease Being Sexually Attractive to Men; The Peaceful Matriarch Whose Nurtures All Because It Is The Essential Nature of Womanhood To Nurture.
They write themselves.
They really do, and it's a great article.
***
And Frozen 2 has been announced. Prayer circle for parents everywhere.

8 comments:

  1. I'm happy The Fall is getting a third series - Alan Cubbitt has said (somewhere) that it was his plan - and any reason we get to see more Stella on our screens is wonderful news
    I read the Kate Elliot article too (great article) and I was thinking of Stella when I read it - she doesn't really fit into any of the normal tropes, so is that why some people have problems with her and the show? Or is it all tied up in the definitions of Feminism and Misogyny (which was something that really stood out in Australian Media on International Woman's Day)

    Also reading some works on 13th and 14th literature - we really haven't moved on very much from those sorts of tropes much though, which is just horribly sad

    And I really don't understand the argument that Paul Spector is either too good looking or too misunderstood to be a real serial killer!

    You could be right about Angel, after Dancing on the Edge, and The Tunnel things seemed to stop for her, so I hope she was in limbo (as opposed to just not getting work!) Also I saw Imelda Staunton either won an award or was nominated for Good People - so certainly industry types saw the play.

    April can't come quick enough, I can't wait for Orphan Black (please let it be good), Game of Thrones and Penny Dreadful (ditto)

    I've been sticking with Fortitude which is just....weird (Stanley Tucci is great though, as always)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also heard that Alan Cubbit "had a plan", and it's not that I don't believe him, but ... isn't that what they all say? Still I'm certainly optimistic, I just really, really hope it's wrapped up after three seasons.

      You could be right about Angel, after Dancing on the Edge, and The Tunnel things seemed to stop for her, so I hope she was in limbo (as opposed to just not getting work!)

      I'm not an expert on these sorts of things, only that a career is an actor is a difficult one to sustain. So when she disappeared I was a little concerned, though she's certainly done well for herself post-Merlin: DotE was nominated for three Golden Globes, The Tunnel was clearly a hit, and Good People got it's extended run. Plus, she did that voicework for Thunderbirds which should be coming out soon.

      Since Merlin ended there hasn't been a period where no fresh work was forthcoming; just a five month hiatus between the conclusion of Good People and the start of Thunderbirds/filming of The Tunnel.

      So from where I'm sitting she's had steady, quality work - which is exactly what I predicted for her when the show ended.

      Delete
    2. I do tend to take "its all part of the plan" etc with a large grain of salt, as there's always a lot of spin involved. However it will be interesting to see what else he can come up with.

      I'm not expert on the industry either, but from what I understand, some things can take a long time to get underway, adding in the others work commitments too can be tricky.
      I believe Angel also does quite a lot of voice over and announcing on TV, (there as that L'Oreal ad a while ago) we just don;t get to see - or hear it, as the case may be - on this side of the pond!
      Its great to see her in good quality productions, it means she's recognised for her hard work and talent.

      Delete
    3. I know for a fact she also took part in a Maya Angelou memorial along with Chiwetel Ejiofor and other British actors/actresses. So yeah, she's been working steadily - just not where we can see her!

      Delete
    4. The trailer looks pretty good, I wonder if they've based the drawing on Angel herself
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6y2hFqgtjLk&feature=youtu.be
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRNXjfnWHmY

      Delete
    5. Yes, I noticed that! I'm looking forward to seeing how the character (Kayo, apparently) comes across. It might be a bit tricky as she's an entirely original character, so hopefully she'll be integrated properly.

      Delete
  2. I think there's another kind of "two-season" show, which I actually think Dollhouse is a part of: the kind that realises it's on borrowed time, but gets that extra season either through executive benevolence or sheer dumb luck to wrap things up. These shows tend to have absolutely breakneck second seasons as the showrunners squeeze everything they were planning for seven future seasons into a single year, but they're certainly exhilarating viewing. (I thought Dollhouse ended up a real achievement, but it only got there after it was clear the writing was on the wall.) Rome is the other show that immediately comes to mind. Of course, this requires the writers to be aware beforehand that two seasons is all they're getting.

    Like you, I am pleased we are seeing the Merlin cast in good stuff, and I have to say I'm a little surprised they're ALL doing so well. I expected one or two to fade pretty quickly (no one in particular, just as a law of averages kind of thing), but they all seem to have pretty steady work (even Bradley, after not much for a while, has the lead on Damien, a new American show that looks ... dubious, but I've learned not to prejudge). Shows how lucky that show was.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Like you, I am pleased we are seeing the Merlin cast in good stuff, and I have to say I'm a little surprised they're ALL doing so well.

      It's true. Most of the knights have been busy, and the young guest stars (Georgia King, Janet Montgomery) also branched out and established themselves elsewhere. And then of course, there's the likes of Asa Butterfield and Holliday Grainger who have really sky-rocketed.

      And a part of me is still surprised that Katie McGrath is going to be in Jurassic World. On the one hand, I definitely had her pegged as the one to break into Hollywood (if any of them were going to), but on the other, it sounds as though it's going to be a significant role (and not just Screaming Woman #5).

      Delete