Search This Blog

Monday, December 8, 2014

Woman of the Month: Stella Gibson


Stella Gibson from The Fall      
  
There's only one more episode of The Fall's second season left, and it's managed to maintain the quality and suspense of its first. Detailing the police investigation surrounding the search for a serial killer in Belfast who targets attractive brunettes with high-earning jobs, Stella Gibson is called in from London to help reinvigorate proceedings.

Gillian Anderson is amazing as Stella, bringing a demeanour to the character that caught me completely off-guard. On my initial watch, I was surprised by just how cold Stella was, almost to the point of finding her difficult to empathise with.

But then, that’s the point. Because Stella Gibson doesn’t care what anyone thinks of her. This level of detached calm on a male character would either be considered normal or demonstrative of his commitment to the job, but on a female character it’s actually rather unnerving. What becomes clear over the course of the show is that Stella is totally, utterly, indescribably unapologetic about who she is and what she wants. Whether it’s in her professional or private life, chasing leads or propositioning a co-worker for a one-night-stand, she’s utterly confident and unashamed.

Furthermore, the writing doesn’t seem particularly interested in giving her any clichéd “flaws” just to give her “obstacles to surmount” (let’s be honest here, on most other shows the temptation to make their female lead an ex-drug addict or socially inept or a recovering victim of domestic abuse or hobbled by rampant misogyny in the work-force is usually too great to ignore). Instead Stella is allowed to handle the case and her sex life with complete autonomy. No slip-ups. No attempt to “take her down a peg.” No personal demons that threaten to overwhelm her.

She’s in charge and she’s practically infallible. And why shouldn’t she be? It’s awesome, and she’s so comfortable in her abilities and her own skin that it makes many of her male colleges visibly unsettled. Not that she gives a shit.

7 comments:

  1. She really doesn't give a shit, and she is completely and utterly awesome.
    Its just, well, its partly fascinating and partly depressing to see some viewers and media completely miss the point of her, and in doing so they miss the point of the show I think.
    The writing has been phenomenally on point and tight, its not hurried, I'd love to see what Alan Cubbit does next, because this has been amazing to watch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will DEFINITELY keep an eye on Alan Cubitt's work in the future. And I'm looking forward to doing a proper write-up on this season once it's all finished.

      I've seen some of your comments on Tumblr about how some fans are freaking out that Stella will end up sleeping with Colin Morgan's character. All I can say is (in the words of Alison Hendrix): I hope she bounces him like a ball.

      Delete
    2. This last episode should be good.
      I think Paul thinks because he's read the diary he knows Stella intimately, and can manipulate her. I don't think he'll be successful.

      I am hoping they do something interesting with Colin's character, at the moment it seems like a bit of stunt casting

      I hope so too! because Alison says the best things, and also because Its so frustrating to see a show about women (I read an interview with the woman who plays Liz Tyler saying actresses would kill to get on a show like this) become about the guys, but that's fandom for you. I know there's a lot of theories out there connecting Tom Anderson to Paul Spector in some way, but its interesting that none have connected him to any of the murder victims (which is my theory, but we'll see)

      Delete
    3. My theory (at this stage) is that Stella chose Anderson to make the arrest/lead the interrogation for one of two reasons:

      a) either he resembles a male version of Spector's victims: brunette, professional, slender frame, or

      b) he looks very young, and she wants Spector to feel insulted by putting someone who looks like an "underling" on his case (even though Anderson is clearly holding his own).

      Delete
  2. There is most definitely a strategy she has in bringing him on and using him, as arresting officer and in interviewing Paul. I can't wait (the whole 10 days) to see how it all unfolds. I don't think things will happen in a way that people expect (I certainly don't think my theory is little more than wishful thinking to think he had a fling with Laura Donnelly)
    It will be interesting to see if she used Anderson and McGill together next time - as he was a little rattled when she entered the cell

    I do like the respect her team give her too, there is no grumbling or backstabbing, and even Jim Burns (easily the most annoying character) has ceded that she's been right all along.
    I've seen Stella Gibson getting compared to Jayne Tennyson, but without all the baggage, its refreshing to see that they've shied away from giving her typical character flaws and seeing too much of her private life, the few things she has said are intriguing. I certainly hope there is a 3rd series, either with more Paul Spector or moving onto something else, we need more Stella (and more like her) on our screens

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Poor old Jim, I'm beginning to feel a bit sorry for him (only because John Lynch does the hang-dog expression so well).

      I just have my fingers and toes crossed that the season finale doesn't end with Spector escaping custody. That would REALLY get my goat.

      Delete
    2. Jim got himself in quite a bind in trying to play politics - he does do a wonderful hang-dog expression

      I couldn't imagine anything worse than having to let Spector go, I really hope they've got enough solid evidence

      Meanwhile I am steadfastly staying away from twitter, am not sure if fans have cottoned onto the fact that Colin's character actually does get the girl in Good Omens

      Delete